Church of St Peter and Paul, Bruff
The parish church in Bruff was built in 1828. It is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul. Lewis described Bruff church as a handsome building in early English style. The building was commenced by Andrew Ryan P.P., and completed by the RC Dean of Limerick, Patrick MacNamara, his successor as PP of Bruff. Andrew Ryan was Parish Priest for 23 years, and is buried in the church.
© Bruff Church Interior
The side altar on the right is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and was donated by William and Teresa Naughton in 1930. The side altar on the left is dedicated to the Sacred Heart and was donated by Patrick and Josephine Kirby in 1950. Other parishioners donated the stained glass windows in the church.
© Side Altars in Bruff Church
Plaques in memory of those buried within the church are to be found on the walls of the mortuary chapel attached to the church. One of these plaques is dedicated to the memory of Margaret Redmond, who died June 24th 1838, aged 11.
Buried within the church are:
Fr Timothy O’Meara, Died August 18th 1841
Patrick MacNamara, P.P., Died 21st August 1838, Aged 48
Andrew Ryan, P.P., Died December 19th 1830
Patrick O’Riordan, C.C., Bruff, Died December 1st 1876, Aged 35
Dean Charles McNamara, Died February 19th 1926, Aged 87
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Canon David Houlihan, P.P. 1987-1991, Died May 3rd 1993
Canon James Culhane, P.P. 1974-1987, Died April 6th 1991
Canon John Lee, P.P. 1926-1932
Canon Edmund Condon, P.P. 1958-1973, Died September 23rd 1973
Donal Cregan P.P., Died 10th February 1892
Daniel Ryan C.C., Died October 29th 1881, Aged 42.